Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Transformation

"Motherhood is the hardest job in the world, if you're doing it right." -Oprah

I love that quote. Along with that thought is also the work it takes to make sure your children are educated. Whatever school they go to doesn't matter as much in regards to their brain food, but to help them absorb it all requires involved parents in some manner. Whether that's working WITH them on their homework, or pursuing extra help if they need it, or being a 'room mother', sitting on the PTO, challenging them with extra stimulation if they are bored, and on... and on... (all the other gems they pick up like social behaviors, well, that DOES matter what school they go to!)

I don't think it's acurate to say that stay at home mothers get a break during the day while their children are in school, *if they are doing it right.* They would be hard working during those hours to maintain their homes and errands so that after the bus brings their precious ones home they can give them the time and attention they need during homework. Especially if little ones are still home, there is no 'break.' And working mothers are even busier if they are also the primary ones taking care of the house! Whew, I can't even fathom the amount of caffeine needed. Bold

So I'm now a homeschooling mom. It's hard yes, but it's a different hard, and I have to mythbust a little and tell you that I'm finding it easier. YES we are done in 3 hours. YES it's changing my life in so many good ways, and YES my life is less stressed.

  • I don't have to time punch to meet a bus when it's still dark outside. But yes, we still get up and fully dressed, beds made, and chores done before we get going. We don't sit around in jammies all day!
  • The school day can be accomplished in 3 hours because the kids aren't spending 1.5 hours every day on a bus or in a car pickup/drop off line and commute. Lunch goes quicker also because 30 kids don't need to line up first/after.
  • The reading time for little children done in class is so that the teacher can have one-on-one, this is where a TA or room mother is needed. Our reading time is done as part of our bedtime routines. I only have 2 children in school, so it isn't difficult to juggle one-on-one time with them. Lessons are accomplished quicker because there isn't 30 kids to redirect or discipline. Activity centers are play time, while again the teacher is working individually- my kids have play time with their own toys in their rooms after school work is done. So yes, it really can be done in 3 hours when you shave off the redundant time spent in elementary schools that they may also do at home.
  • I still have to pack lunches, make sure homework is done and sent in before their next day, think ahead of schedules, little one's naps, errands, housework, cooking, being a wife, and all of those things too. The perk is that it can change if I need it to, but the load may be heavier with the reality that it's always a full crew with me at all times.
  • Instead of parent teacher conferences, I am always in-the-know of how my child is accomplishing each subject and behavior, and can take proactive steps before a problem developes.

So my life isn't any more hectic than any other mother who wishes to be fully involved with their children's life, it's just different. Instead of finding care for my little one not old enough for school, while I go volunteer as a room mother, I just do both myself. But it did take a LOT of organizing, preparing, and scheduling before we got it started that you don't have to do if your child goes to public school.

The biggest reason why I am loving it? Because it's FORCED me to figure out the rest of my tasks so that I take that time and sit down with my children. I was missing out on that when I was fussing over what they were messing up. Instead of sitting down with them when the bus brings them home, I get to do it in the mornings. Instead of volunteering in their classrooms, I get to create their classroom adventures. When we have field trips, the whole family can go along. And it has pushed me to do more than I thought I could do with my health problems, it has pushed me to ensure that I am taking the time and care to raise them upright before the Lord, and all the while it is molding me into being the patient and joyful mother that I was too stressed out to be. And it is fostering a better relationship between rivaling siblings. Ironic isn't it?


1 comment:

  1. Just reading up on this blog I didn't know you had. Loving it. :) This one's my favorite so far.

    ReplyDelete