Monday, August 8, 2011

Getting ready for a new year



The thing about homeschooling, is that you can make your own schedule. Which means, we never had an official "last day" kind of thing because I was needing some semblance of a schedule during the summer months of their friends being out of school too. I don't have the first day back to look forward to sending them away, so I didn't want to shoot myself in the foot having to also be the one to get them back into a learning routine.





But we've wrapped up all of the learning their little noggins are 'standardized to achieve' at this age, and I feel like I've hardly done anything the last three months... I'm glad they're smart, it makes up for my lackings some days!


Since all of the workbooks my kids love to do are nearly finished, I finally wrapped my head around next year's bounty of knowledge.

For Maren:

Math-


KB Teacher's supplemental worksheets


Language Arts-




Shurley English Level 1 (finishing up)
Grammar









Spanish La Clase Divertida and a vocabulary workbook to supplement.




Science-
Human Body

Illustrated Human Body resource book by INsiders
The care and keeping of you (American Girl)

(We are beginning with teaching Maren about her anatomy, because she has been having some changes already- I know...what?! And with a new baby on the way, lots of questions are being asked.)

*A new baby to be born in the family... what better way to teach living science?!

















Geography and History-
World Cultures with Around the World in 80 Tales and Expedition Earth

Galloping the globe online interaction



Music and Art-


Suzuki Violin 1 Book-


Ballet, including performing in The Nutcracker this year




Reading-
We've picked 2 books from the list of classic literature recommended from Thomas Jefferson Education. In addition to their personal reading- they'll learn oral reports, researching, and book reviews.

More history will come with association while we read classic literature, scriptures, and Magic Tree House series. Also, we are making a time line of "Great People throughout America's History" that we will continue to build through next year.


For Kellan, he will do the grade 2 lessons along with all of the subjects, and has grade 1 workbooks for each of the subjects. He will also be continuing with the Cello, I so love the sound of that instrument! He is excited to start learning cursive when we officially break out our new school year books.




Now... if I can only keep these 3 hours of structure every day amidst running after a toddler, running a household, and battling morning sickness.....




1 comment: